Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Leaving a mark.

Why is it that an old person will take every possible opportunity to tell you their life story? And I'm not even talking about relatives. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but what makes a person so desperate to make sure their stories are known, that they will be remembered, that they made their mark on the world before they died? What difference will that make? What are they afraid of? Do they (the old people) know something that I don't? It's like, the last few years of their lives (and somehow they know when those are) they realize they didn't do or say all this stuff that they needed to. I don't know. This is just really weird to me.

People in power all throughout history made sure that monuments were made to honor them, or their name got put in writing, with all their accomplishments. That was important to them; they needed to know that the world would not forget them when they were gone. Why is that? Some of the people the world remembers most did not purposely do anything with the objective of simply being remembered for it. Maybe that's it. Being remembered will depend on not what you did to be remembered, but what you did to make a difference.

On the other hand, who have we forgotten? What if they did great things? Probably so. Does the fact that we maybe didn't remember them lessen the fact that they changed the world? No. So I guess that's my point. (Here you are thinking, What?? This had a point?!) Why is everyone so concerned with being remembered? If you do good things, they will make an impact. Does it matter that you get credit? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Love, Jennifer

2 comments:

Britta Nystul said...

I love how you make me think.
I wonder if people want to be remembered because they don't want to be just another life and death.
They want their name to be tied to their accomplishments. Maybe they just want someone to miss them when they are gone.
Hmmm.
Love,
Britta Marie

Hannah said...

maybe its just because they don't want to be forgotten when they aren't here any more. but that won't happen. because the people that matter (family, friends, etc.) won't ever forget them. so i agree. why are people so desperate to get credit for the things they do so that they can be remembered?