Saturday, May 03, 2008

Photo Adventures

So today was day one of working on my final project. You know, I decided for this one, I will do it right. Work on it a lot, hard, and get it finished, without freaking out the last two days and spending hours after school. Plus, I have no 3rd or 4th period, so hopefully I'll be able to work during that time. Anyway, here is my adventure...

My project is a concentration of 12 photo montages (photo montage=a bunch of tiny pictures of an object, all put together, in a not-perfect way. they're great.). My subject is doors....wait, it gets better. haha. Each door will be different, and cool, and interesting. And at the bottom of each one will be a word that means opportunity or some synonym of that. I'm excited. I'm not sure if people really get the idea when I explain it to them, but I like it and think it will turn out well.

So I went to Provo today to check out their doors, and they actually had a few cool ones. The first place I went was the city library, which is this huge stone building. The door I really wanted to photograph was at the top of all of these stairs, and there was this homeless guy sitting at the bottom. I didn't really want to go over there, mostly because I had m's really nice, expensive camera. I kind of walked by, and kept walking around the building, but then felt ridiculous for feeling threatened by him for no reason. So once I got around to the front again (and still felt ridiculous), I just walked up to the steps to go up. The homeless guy was like "Who made your top?"
me: what?
h.g: your shirt, who made it?
me: oh, I don't know
h.g: I'm in fashion, and I'm always looking for labels to carry in my stores. What, did you get it at thrift store or something?
me: no, I've just kind of had it forever.

And then I walked up the stairs, shot the door really quickly, and left. haha. moving on.

I got a few other doors, but none that I really fell in love with, until I was driving around on the backstreets. There was this family outside gardening, and I looked at their door......purple with a rounded top! I simply could not pass it up! So I did a u-turn and parked in front of their house and got out with my camera. they were puzzled. I said, "Could I ask you a strange question? I'm in a photography class and doing a project on doors. Can I take some pictures of your door?" The guy had a big bushy beard and his wife was nice and earthy, and they were just kind of like "uh...sure." So I did. And their son (who was skateboarding) was definitely laughing at me. haha. oh well. My favorite door of the day, for sure.

# of comments on my shirt: 2
# of backstreets I drove down: a lot.
# of cute college guys I saw: 1. very cute.
# of cute college guys I talked to: 0. disappointing.
# of doors I actually photographed: 6
# of times I thought about how much I love my blog readers: 5 million.
Albums of the day: "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" by Modest Mouse, and
"Origin of Symmetry" by Muse.


Love, Jennifer

PS--I'm kind of involved in this love affair with M's camera. Really.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE Blog :)

-Travis Moulton- said...

haha thats pretty cool. sounds like a good project to me. Im not sure if i could just pull up to someones house and ask them if I could take pictures of their door though.

Morgan said...

you know, announcing affairs on the internet is how you get caught.

Nat said...

oh my goodness jeb.
so entertaining.
ha ha i am glad it all went well?
and the people you meet.... wow.
ha ha i am impressed.
you will go far in life. :D

Roberto Lerma said...

haha, love affairs with inanimate objects aren't healthy :)

Origin of Symmetry = best ever.

Love,
Berto

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about these. Well someday Ill create a blog to compete you! lolz.