Sunday, July 20, 2008

Vegetarian Month

Well, here we are. I feel kind of strange because I have this insane urge to blog, but I'm tired of the thoughts that circle my head over and over and really have nothing to say.

I guess I can tell you how vegetarian month is going. For July I decided to try being vegetarian for a month for a few reasons.

1) To better understand my dear friend M
2) Because she always talks about how much better she feels without meat. Which always sounds good, feeling better.
3) I have this strange habit of choosing to do things that I know will be difficult for me. Giving up things, etc. It's the exercise of willpower that I love, not that I'm especially against what I'm giving up.
4) To say I did it.

So anyway, today is day #20. And I must say, being vegetarian is really not very difficult. Sometimes I would really like to eat meat (like when my parents have something meat-filled for dinner, it's independent food night for me), but I don't miss it all that much. It's kind of like the soda thing. I miss it now and then, but after a certain amount of time, you realize that you really don't need things as much as you thought you did. And it feels kind of good, if only for a month or however long this lasts, to free myself from things, to prove what I can do.

The one obstacle I've encountered during this little experiment is the social eating of meat. Haha. It's been a little weird to maneuver my way out of social situations where people are eating meat, or offering it to me. I feel rude saying no, and honestly, a lot of people would scoff at my month of vegetarianism (be honest. you were smirking to yourself when you started reading this.) so I'm a little bit cautious about telling people.

The cool thing is, I've started to notice a difference. I actually do feel better. I feel a whole lot better about the drastic decline in the amount of cholesterol-laden foods I've been eating. And as a side effect, I'm eating a ton more fresh fruits and vegetables to make up for what I would've eaten in meat and related dishes. I think I'm finally drinking as much water as I should per day. And I've found I really don't like sweet, sugary things as much as I used to either. Hooray!

So I'm contemplating continuing for the rest of the summer. And after that I will probably start eating small amounts of meat again, mostly because I think I'll have a lot harder time once fruits and vegetables go out of season, because they make up a large part of my diet right now. But strange as it is, and despite my expectations, I actually liked doing this. And I LOVE veggie burgers. (You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get your hands on those things. :) )

Love, Jennifer

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually wasn't smirking. Believe it or not. I think it's good to try things like this.

Yay for Jebby

Roberto Lerma said...

Haha. I might as well have written this blog word for word when I was vegetarian. No joke. The only thing that would change is that I'm a big meat person.

I love testing my willpower as well.

Love,
Berto

P.S. I don't know why people always scoffed, but it was a common reaction. It kind of bothered me, but I got over it.

Michaelface said...

I had no idea you were trying this.
I'm definitely going to try it sometime. Only right now I need meat... I'm super skinny if you couldn't tell. Maybe I'll give up other things. Like Candy/soda and all that good stuff. Only seriously. As Usual, you continue to be an inspiration

Morgan said...

yay for vegetarianism!!

Nat said...

oh jeb.
i am so proud.
it is a good thing ya?
well lets do this shin-dig.
soon.
your guy's going away party needs to take course.
what/when shall it happen?
text me?
yeah?
loves

-Travis Moulton- said...

jeb should write a new blog before i leave

Anonymous said...

Nicely said. You would probably enjoy Michael Pollen's recent book "Omnivore's Dilemma" a lot.