Sunday, July 06, 2008

Zune vs. iPod

So, it has finally happened, the moment I have been dreading somewhere in the back of my mind. My zen, my mp3 player, has finally reached the end stages of its life and is quickly picking up speed on the downhill. Sad news, I know. But now I have a predicament, which I think you may be able to help me with!

My replacement will be either an 80gb Zune (red!) or an 80gb iPod. But which one?? Here's how it breaks down.

Zune:

pros
  • red color
  • video
  • lots of space
  • relatively few problems (that i've heard)
  • excellent customer service
  • just kind of awesome in general
cons
  • no scroll wheel
  • more difficult to share music with other people
  • the world revolves around iPods

iPod

pros
  • scroll wheel
  • video
  • lots of storage
  • the world revolves around them
  • easy sharing of music with the other zillion people who own them.
cons
  • I hate it when my things break, and...
  • they seem to have a lot of problems....
  • which apple sucks about correcting easily for you.

Well, that is about all I have. If I got an iPod, by the way, it would probably be white. And both of these cost exactly the same. This is a difficult decision. I think I may be leaning towards the Zune though...? I would love to hear your opinions.



me...............
or me.............................?

Love, Jennifer

8 comments:

Victor said...

I had the same dilemma. I went with the Zune, and frankly, I wish I would have stuck with the iPod. First of all, there's compatibility. Like you said, everything revolves around the iPod. Second, there's battery life. The Zune runs out much quicker, not to mention the fact that mine doesen't shut off automatically (big bummer). Also, Zunes seem more delicate. When I dropped my old iPod, nothing would happen. My Zune on the other hand, has dents and scratches already. Finally, i like iTunes a LOT more than Zune software, which, frankly, is a pain in the arse. So.. I recommend the iPod, but to each his own.. or her own.

-Travis Moulton- said...

I still think the iPod is a better choice. The world DOES revolve around it and you can't beat the compatability that iPod and iTunes has.

Plus you can let me borrow all your music :)

Morgan said...

after mexico i would have said zune... and they probably are better about fixing stuff, but my ipod actually seemed to recover. plus you can get cool colored cases, so you can add color to your ipod pros. and compatability is extremely important i think. not to mention apple products are like an a- or something in the better world shopping guide :)

Roberto Lerma said...

more pros for Zune:
-touch pad (cooler than wheel)
-bigger screen
-wireless music and picture sharing with other zunes
-mine and michael's music collection
-you can get stuff from your zune onto your computer, which iPods don't let you do
-tougher than iPods (hard plastic vs. easily scratched back....hmm..)
-customizable background
cons for Zune:
-no clock, so no alarm
-iTunes > Zune software
-everyone hates change, so they can't tear themselves away from iPods
-a little bigger than iPod

iPod pros:
-clock and alarm
-games
-more accessible

iPod cons:
-I went through two. Apple was a jerk about it both times. One Zune, still going.
-delicate (more so than Zune)

Okay, those are things you missed for both. That's all.

Love,
Berto

Roberto Lerma said...

P.S. Battery life should be exactly the same as iPod. If you have problems like that, ask Mike about it, he did and got a new Zune within a week.

Jennifer said...

haha, you're like a zune salesman!

Michaelface said...

do you really want me to get started on this debate? Unless you are going for an ipod touch, Get a Zune!

1. Click wheel? so not cool. The touch pad is where it's at.
2. Stealing music from others collections is not recommended at all by apple, however, microsoft actually encourages it (not necessarily the stealing, but the sharing)
3. Battery life is the same. about 20 hours depending on your settings.
4. What does the fact that ipod controls the world have to do with it? You'll fit in with more kids? You'll see your ipod on t.v. more? Zunes are more expressive and personal. More colors, customizable backgrounds, "zune originals" which is basically a tatoo you can get engraved on your zune. awesome stuff.
5. If you are going to be buying music online itunes is a good place, but zune marketplace has DRM-free music (which basically means it's not just restricted to your music-playing device. the songs aren't "locked") and It still has a ton of music. almost the same amount as itunes.
6. zunes are definitely tougher (Creighton must be man-handling his) they have a glass screen rather than a plastic one so it doesn't scratch.
7. Zune now has applications that you can download including games and stuff (it's still early development, but in the next little while better things will be coming out. As me more about this if you have questions)
8. Everyone who has an ipod either bought it because they'd been using itunes their whole life or because they never took the time to look for something else. Good for you look at your options.

any question just ask me, like berto said. haha wow I'm a nerd

Michaelface said...

Sorry about my major typing errors by the way. haha