Monday, July 14, 2008

The Soundtrack To My Life

I'm always amazed how well music is able to define the moments of my life that even I cannot.

Wolfmother's "Vagabond" knows exactly what freedom feels like this summer. It knows what speeding down a hill on your grandmother's bicycle, arms outstretched, putting your trust in absolutely everything and nothing feels like.

Our Lady Peace's "Thief" knows what hope is made of. What fear and reluctance and that indefinable possibility of something lovely feels like.

Elbow's "Mirrorball" knows what it means to be yourself, and nothing else. It knows what self-acceptance feels like. Unconditionally.

John Butler Trio's "Ocean" knows, more than any other, what pure exhilaration sounds like.

The White Stripes' "Sugar Never Tasted So Good" knows how to define that feeling of new experiences, of feeling proud of what you're doing at the moment and who you're with.

Sigur Ros' "Ara Batur" knows what love sounds like. Love at any level, any moment, any setting. It knows what vulnerability is, and how beautiful that can be.

Good night. :)

Love, Jennifer

5 comments:

-Travis Moulton- said...

wow i pretty much haven't heard any of these songs.

it is true that music can express things in ways that you otherwise couldn't

Morgan said...

mmm, music is everything i am inside.

Hannah said...

songs always tell me things about myself that i never, ever could have figured out on my own. its so weird.

Roberto Lerma said...

Aren't you so glad that I showed you Ocean? In fact, I'll listen to it right now. Jeb, we need to hang out soon, k? You're one of my best music buddies! woo!

Love,
Berto

Michaelface said...

You should listen to Fleet Foxes. That's all