Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Poetry Wednesday

To everyone who's ever been left by anyone.


My Hope Is But A Lightswitch


I do not mind the cold
I do not mind the cold
I'm glad it makes us closer,
If perfect truth be told.

A massive melted snow-lake
Rejects the bottle-boat.
My laughter is a lightswitch
And yours a lonely moat.

If I had held your interest,
I would have told you then,
"I'm happy to be with you."
We just watched lightrays bend.

As you handed off the jacket,
And slipped into her car
I was then retracting
Into a fissured calm.

My hope is but a lightswitch
Expectations just a sleeve.
In the moment you were leaving
I knew you'd always leave.


Copyright
Jennifer North

4 comments:

Britta Nystul said...

Oh Jennifer.
You write my life.
Thanks for that.

isaac said...

i don't know what to say, that was...it was really good.

isaac said...

follow up on comment:
i did not say what i wanted, i thought your poem was beautiful, really.

-Travis Moulton- said...

my hope is but a lightswitch
expectations just a sleeve

those words are golden