Tuesday, September 09, 2008

This Big Picture

I woke up about an hour ago, which I was actually thankful for today because I was having the most horrible dream. I dreamt that the school year was over, and my parents were here picking me up to go home for the summer. Except everyone else got to stay here at school. I've got to say, I haven't felt such extreme sadness and despair in a long time! Anyway, I tell you this, because it might help to explain how I feel about this place, although I have only been here for three weeks.

I love it's newness, which still hasn't worn off, and I love meeting so many new, great people. To be honest, it's been extremely difficult staying true to the things I thought were unmovable in my life. It's hard to be different. Specifically, it's a challenge to be LDS. Pretty much everyone I've met have been genuinely good people, but not all of them have the same moral code as I do. Sometimes the general vibe I get is, If you're a Mormon, why don't you just go to BYU? Good question. I've asked myself that as well, but I honestly have no answer. It just never seemed right, whereas the U really did. Anyway, I've been spending my days trying to navigate this new life, thinking of questions I don't immediately have the answer to. I have been trying to figure them out, however. (A couple of you can attest to this!)

My point is, I love this school. I am loving a school that doesn't necessarily love me back. For once I am a religious minority! But it does accept me. But I think that soon I will figure out who I really am, and how I fit into this big picture.

That's my thought for today. I was happy to wake up.

Love, Jennifer

1 comment:

Roberto Lerma said...

Is LDS the minority? I didn't know that.

But it sounds like a fun time. There's nothing like a complete change in setting to remind yourself of who you are and why you do the things you do. It's a good thing.

But make sure that you know exactly why you are the way you are. That's always a good way to come to appreciate life.

I can't wait to come visit. At the latest it'll in a couple of weeks because there's a Children of Bodom concert I want to attend. I'll come some hours early to hang out. Maybe before then.

Love,
Berto