Monday, January 11, 2010

why i like photography, or, a memory from last spring.



I was thinking today about my very last day on campus last spring. It was my last time walking around before I moved out, and there were new graduates walking around occasionally in caps and gowns. Other than that, nothing. Just the most quiet spring day I can remember; perfect weather. I had nowhere to be so I just wandered around, with my camera of course, because I document everything.

It was the strangest feeling....I was inexplicably sad that it was ending; I felt as if I had to perfectly frame every picture I took of random stuff in order to immortalize it into my memory. I felt as if I'd never be there again. Which is, of course, untrue, but also an interesting thought...

I really never will be there again. The way I felt, the things I saw and knew, or thought I knew, will never be the same even if I try.

Maybe this is what I like about photography; maybe I need it because some part of me feels it all slipping away and wants a reminder of where I have been for when life becomes less simple. I don't know.

Love, Jennifer

No comments: