Sunday, February 08, 2009

learning

Sunday, February 8.

I was reading postsecrets this morning, and saw this one...



It made me stop a little and about this whole college thing I'm doing at the moment. Really, I don't doubt that this is exactly the right place for me to be right now, but it's kind of easy to get lost in this strange world here. It's easy to lose sight of the important things in life, the absolutely true things. As much freedom as is allowed here (as opposed to say, high school...), there are still a lot of people and ideas that will try to make you what they want you to be.

So I read this post card, and I began to think of what I've learned thus far. I've learned a lot academically, but most of all, I've learned a lot about humanity itself. It's hard to explain, but living among 30,000 other human beings has this way of magnifying things. Excitement is so much bigger, hate is so much bigger, pressure is so much bigger, and loneliness is so much bigger. Being here, I really identify with a lot of people, and I get this feeling of connectedness about the whole thing. It's like we're all in this together. Nobody knows exactly what we're doing with our lives, but we're trying, and we're trying together. So what have I learned? I have no idea. But I feel like I've been brought closer to the heart of humanity.

Love, Jennifer

2 comments:

Roberto Lerma said...

:)

I need to feel that, I need to expand my mind from Heber.

But I'm not quite there yet.

This was nice.

Love,
Berto

Morgan said...

Nice. This is something I've rediscovered almost every week here. I wrote in my sketchbook about it last semester, about feeling so connected to people here. Lost in the numbers but still such a significant piece.