Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My City

My city is a city of sirens.
A city of footsteps and sidewalks and people with places to be.
A city of seasons, bleak and fleeting and indulgent and fresh.
My city is a city of change.
A city of principle in the daylight and neon in the dark, if you know where to be.
A city of people who belong, people who persist, and people who fear.
A city of the mountains,
A city of the streets.
A city of songs, a city of solitude, and a city of holding breaths.
A city of flavors--the divine, the solid, the average, the exquisite.
Mine is a city of nighttime walks. Of backstreets, of streetlights.
A city of conversations and secrets.
My city is a city of open arms.
A city without judgment, a city of no regrets.
A city of pollution.
My city is a city of friends on red rugs,
A city of apartments and heaters that sometimes work and refrigerators with soymilk and cranberry juice...if you know what I mean.
A city of souls, of hands, of lips all coming together.
A city of back porches and summer afternoons.
A city of the most incredible heartbreaks.
A city of new outlooks, of chance; A city of unbelievable choice.
A city of sleepovers and magic kissing and decisions, decisions, decisions, decisions.
Mine is a city of trains, of cars, and of airplanes that graze the horizon.
A city of grids.
A city of purpose.
My city is a city that breathes.
A city that lives.
A city that exists in loneliness and cohesion at exactly the same time.
And a city that never quite stops its progression or heartbeat.
Mine is a city of whatever I want it to be.
A city of silence.
My city is a city of sirens, of sidewalks.

Love, Jennifer



3 comments:

Britta Nystul said...

Wow. This is great.

Morgan said...

Me encanta Salt Lake City.

Nat said...

I love this.
Cities, though overwhelming and populous, can be serene and personal.
If filled with a few beings who make it all worth it.